Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Day 26


A quarter of the way through the project. Whew.

26 days in, 74 more to go. It hardly seems like scratching the surface, but at the same time I keep asking myself why I committed to such a long time frame. In all honesty, I chose 100 days simply because of the prevalence of the 100 Days projects have popped up everywhere lately. I didn't realize until a week in quite what a commitment I had taken on.

Some days posting is easy; some days I hardly have time to squeeze a picture in (yesterday obviously didn't happen at all). A lot of days I just don't want to post. I might not like what I wore that day, I might be tired from a long week, I might just be feeling lazy and not want to get off the couch.

I wish I could say that I already like pictures of myself more; that taking pictures is easy and I'm comfortable with what I see. Some days it's true... A lot of days it's not.

I still hope that the outcome of this project will be that I am more comfortable with pictures of myself. I think it can happen, and I think I can get there. But I have to admit that a lot of the time it feels like I'm fighting an uphill battle, and that I will never be free of the media-soaked culture that tells me I'm not skinny enough, not perfect enough, over and over and over.

What does give me hope is seeing other people doing the same thing, fighting the same battle, and giving themselves the space to love themselves in juxtaposition with a culture that profits on our doubts and insecurities. In case you didn't see it, my wonderful friend Raechel shared her own #TheImageProject picture and post on her blog here. Check it out; and if you want, post your own #TheImageProject picture. If you do, send it to me on Twitter or Instagram @katherinepeters or post it in the comments here. I'd truly love to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment